Saturday, March 28, 2009

TaylorCAM [vr. 001]

As promised, the first online look at the "TaylorCAM". Constructed from a modified US Army paratrooper's rig from Korea, its basically guaranteed to get me thrown in somesort of scary foreign jail [just kidding]. The military harness was customized by the addition of another set of straps and elastic bands with the help of the capable fingers of Berkeley's own Kim Suczynski. In the middle of the apparatus is a Canon PowerShot SD400 bought from a very nice Asian man on craigslist.org for 60 dollars. After hacking into the camera with the aid of the good guys at CHDK [Canon Hacker's Development Kit], the camera was re-tooled to be able to take a picture at an interval of every so many seconds. Right now its set up to take a picture every 10 seconds, to be compiled into a video on photoshop later. Unfortunately my mini-mini-laptop I'm carrying around won't do the video right now so all I've got is stills until I get home.

The TaylorCAM was devised for my thesis prep course last semester at UC Berkeley as an experiment in the invasion of privacy into the life of myself and others. It was meant to look at the question of "Is anyone truly alone anymore?", but has luckily since morphed into the task of documenting parts of my travels to the remote locations. The photo stills below are taken from a hike in the "High Mountain" region of the Sinai Peninsula with my Bedouin guide Badri. The ultimate goal of the hike was to get an up close look at the secret Bedouin "gardens" hidden in the valleys, painstakingly constructed over generations as a way to grow food and live in a hostile environment. I'm hoping to get another set in tomorrow in a hike to the "Fairy Chimneys" of Goreme, Turkey, where I'm currently at.

No comments: