Friday, March 27, 2009

I need to buy a thick coat with a fur hood

"Ice Cube" Research Station - United States

"HalleyVI" Research Station - England

German Research Station

Chinese Research Station

Belgium Research Station


I'm currently sitting down at breakfast after taking an overnight train from Istanbul to a place called Goreme, Turkey. Overnight buses are notoriously hard to sleep on, especially when they are blaring 3:10 to Yuma in Turkish with no English subtitles, and I fear my "NesCoffee" is just not strong enough this morning. Nevertheless, I've ran across more and more reasons that I have to try and get to our southern sister continent, Antartica. Not only is there a relatively new American Research Station at the South Pole, but it seems the Brits have jumped on board holding a recent competition for the HalleyVI Research Station for the island under down under as well. Antartica is smartly thought to be one of the most extreme, environmentally hostile, and remote environments in the world. Psychologically draining as well as physically exhausting to be in for extended periods of time. I just missed a competition to design a new research station apparently and the winners should have been presented a few days ago, though I haven't been able to find any images yet.

I have to look more into it financially, but getting down to the icy tip of the world would be incredibly worthwhile to be able to study the environments first hand I think. Have to go now and get settled, but more blog updates coming soon.

No comments: